Service Tax Registration Number-Procedures and Requirements
Service tax is the tax that is levied by the Central Government of India on the services that come under the segmental featuring for taxation. It is one of the largest inputs to the exchequer of the government and thus requires a lot of deliberation from the taxpayers as well as the government.
There are a lot of issues faced by those trying to register for service tax as the level of awareness about the technicalities here is not usually up to the mark, and thus the people end up taking more time and much more effort in getting this sorted.
Requirements for Service Tax Registration number
Registering for service tax requires several documentations and formalities to be put in place. Let us look at them before we try to understand the whole procedure of registration.
- A copy of the PAN Card of the firm’s proprietor is required for registration. This photocopy shall be self-attested to certify its authenticity.
- Registration requires a photo identity proof of the person filling the form for the entity. The list of valid proofs includes voter identity card, passport, driving license, Aadhar Card, driving license or any proof of identity issued either by Central Government or State Government. Any identity proof issued by a Public Sector Undertaking is also acceptable.
- Bank Account Details having cancelled cheque copy.
- Address proof of the person filling the form is required.
- A No Objection Certificate from the legal owner of the entity is mandatory for filling the registration form.
- Some documents are required from the company as well; they include the following:
- Memorandum of Association
- Articles of Association
- List of Directors
- Authorization certificate from the board of directors
- Business transaction number (if any)
Procedure for Service Tax Registration
Once all the required documents have been assembled and put in order, the entity can go for the registration through online portals. The detailed steps have been enlisted below.
- The applicants need to fill ST-1 application form on the website of Central Excise and Service Tax. On Submission of application, you will get provisional Service tax registration number, that can be used for billing and charging service tax from customers.
- All the documents enlisted need to be submitted in soft copy with the application.
- Once the application form has been submitted, the applicant is required to send a set of self-attested copies of all the documents to the concerned division within 7 working days. The mail is expected to be sent through speed post or registered post.
- After the reception of the documents at the division, they are verified by the officials. In the case that the documents are found trustworthy and without any flaws, the license is issued within two days.
- The applicant can download the electronically available certificate and use it to begin the electronic tax payments.
- If the verification committee decides in favor of personal verification of the documents and premises in question, the certificate is not issued till the final report is submitted from their end.
The whole procedure of service tax registration is quite favorable to the honest individuals. It creates trouble only to those willing to do hula-hoop with the system; they get caught and are suitable prosecuted if required.
Paying service tax is the duty of every responsible citizen of the country as it is one of the most significant fund raising prospects for the government. The raised funds are after all meant for our own society.